Associate - FS Regulatory
TLT’s financial regulation group has grown significantly in recent years to become one of the largest financial regulation practices in the UK with lawyers located nationally.
The team has a very strong reputation in the retail financial services sector and advises banks, building societies and specialist lenders on regulatory matters affecting their deposits, lending (secured and unsecured) and payments product sets. The team is currently ranked Tier 3 in Chambers and Partners for Consumer Finance.
In addition to its core focus on the retail financial services sector, the team has a growing wider financial regulation practice. This practice covers wealth and asset management, and funds and funds management.
The team is highly ambitious and hard-working. Our clients and our employees would describe us as energetic, entrepreneurial & driven. The financial regulation practice sits within the wider Banking and Lender Services Group.
We want you to be successful. You will manage your own caseloads ensuring your experience is varied and broad. Through our national service lines you will work with notable clients and become a sector specialist. You will receive bespoke training throughout your career ensuring you have the technical and commercial skills to build an effective and successful practice.
This role is primarily to support and develop the regulated lending and banking practice. In particular advising banks, building societies and specialist lenders on retail financial services law and regulation (in particular in relation to their savings/current account and mortgage product ranges). You will operate as an Associate:
- This role is primarily to support and develop the retail financial services practice. In particular advising banks, building societies and specialist lenders on retail financial services law and regulation
- Providing strategic and commercial legal advice across a range of financial regulation matters, including matters which are high-value, reputationally sensitive, and which can involve working to tight deadlines
- Managing and supervising a team of solicitors. Providing support, coaching and guidance to members of the team and supporting the junior lawyers with their technical and professional development
- Being a senior member of the financial regulation team and actively working with the partners to set the strategy for the team and continue to grow and develop the team and its specialist practice areas
- Developing strong working relationships with contacts at key financial services clients
- Being a ‘go-to’ person in one or more areas within financial regulation
- Actively engaging in business development activities with clients and potential clients, particularly in working alongside the partners to grow and develop the retail financial services practice.
The Ideal Candidate
We are seeking an Associate (4 – 8 PQE approx.) to join our team, with excellent prospects for career development. Anyone taking up this role can expect the have the opportunity to play a significant part in the development of our retail financial services practice
The team works closely together, but the candidate we are seeking is likely to be supporting and developing our retail financial services practice.
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
- A minimum of four years PQE. The Associate role at TLT is equivalent to the role of Senior or Managing Associate in other practices
- Financial regulation experience gained within a comparable environment and at an appropriate level, ideally including experience in the retail financial services sector working with either mortgage, consumer credit and/or payments products
- A real and genuine interest in financial regulation and in particular the retail financial services sector
- Experience of building strong client relationships
Our team operates nationally, so anyone taking up this role can be based from our London, Manchester or Edinburgh office.
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com .
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. As a fee earner if you exceed your targets you will receive a generous annual bonus. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed. So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.