Associate - Housing & Regeneration
We are currently recruiting for an Associate to join our Housing & Regeneration Team based in London. The Social Housing team forms part of TLT's Real Estate Group with lawyers based in, and working across, both our London and Bristol office. The team comprises some 30 lawyers with social housing experience and is headed up by partner Linda Convery It is supported across the firm by various other specialist lawyers. We advise affordable housing providers and organisations involved in the delivery of affordable housing on all their legal needs.
In return we will invest in you. We want you to be successful. You will manage your own caseloads ensuring your experience is varied and broad. Through our national service lines you will work with notable clients and become a sector specialist. You will receive bespoke training throughout your career ensuring you have the technical and commercial skills to build an effective and successful practice.
Once you are in the role of Associate you will deliver the following:
- The acquisition of land for development including land led acquisitions and the purchase of affordable units through section 106 schemes ; the negotiation of development agreements; leases and freehold transfers
- The disposal of surplus land assets which may include the disposal of land subject to planning or with overage provisions
- Land assembly including option agreements and promotion agreements
- Supporting junior members of the team dealing with street property acquisitions; right to buy sales and right to acquire transactions; utilities agreements and easements;; substation leases
- General support for the Housing and Regeneration Team dealing with real estate enquiries on various transactions
- Dealing with s106 planning agreements in particular as regards affordable housing provisions
- Dealing with a variety of real estate transactions including advice on existing overage arrangements; infrastructure agreements; licences to occupy and the grant of various forms of leases
The Ideal Candidate
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
- Real Estate experience is essential. A working knowledge of commercial lease transactions including the renewal of leases, licences to assign and licences for alterations would be beneficial as we act for a number of registered providers in connection with their commercial property portfolios.
- Awareness of the main issues facing the social housing sector
- Awareness of the regulatory and funding regime within which our social housing clients operate and the implications of their (mostly) being charities
- Awareness of the statutory consents regime within which local authorities
- Willing to share work/help more junior members of the team when the need arises
- Willing to take on a caseload of complex work
- Able to identify when to seek advice from specialist colleagues in e.g. EU procurement, employment, construction, planning and other issues
- Willing to take an active part in business development, including writing articles for trade magazines etc.
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. As a fee earner if you exceed your targets you will receive a generous annual bonus. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed.
TLT has been awarded the ‘Best Law Firm for Partner Approachability 2021’ from the recent Legal Cheek Awards.
So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.