Solicitor - Commercial
A vacancy has arisen for a qualified lawyer with specialist knowledge in international trade law and subsidy control to join our International Trade practice, reporting into Caroline Ramsay who leads both our Subsidy & International Trade and Public Sector practices. Key clients within this practice area include the UK’s Department for International Trade and a number of other key central government departments. This role will provide exposure to some of the highest profile and most significant international trade work in the UK and internationally.
In return we will invest in you. We want you to be successful. You will manage your own caseloads ensuring your experience is varied and broad. Through our international and national service lines you will work with notable clients and become a sector specialist. You will receive bespoke training throughout your career ensuring you have the technical and commercial skills to build an effective and successful practice.
You will operate as an Associate within the team, working with and supporting clients such as:
- Central government departments, specifically Department for International Trade but also others
- Non-departmental public bodies
- Private sector multinationals
You will support the partners in the International Trade team, who are based in the UK and in North America, on a variety of different trade law matters. The type of work will encompass:
- International trade law, with a specific opportunity to advise on Free Trade Agreement negotiations)
- Subsidy control (under EU law, the provisions of UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement and WTO regimes)
- European law
- UK public law
Although this role is based in the UK (specific location agnostic), foreign travel to other jurisdictions will be required from time to time.
Secondments, either into HM Government or our foreign partner firms may also be offered.
The Ideal Candidate
We are seeking candidates with 3-8 years PQE with the requisite skills and experience gained within private practice or the public sector or in-house. Applicants with appropriate experience outside this PQE range will also be considered.
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
- Previous experience of working with or within the public sector on subsidy control (under the current regime and/or EU State aid law)
- Previous experience of advising on EU law
- Previous experience of advising the UK Government or other sovereign governments
- Experience of advising on international trade law matters in other jurisdictions would be a strong asset although not essential
- Practical and pragmatic approach
- Commercially astute
- Excellent drafting and legal analysis skills
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to liaise effectively with clients
- Ability and enthusiasm to support on business development (past tender/bid experience would be beneficial although not essential)
- A strong appetite to build a career advising on matters in relation international law and to subsidy control
- A willingness to work internationally and undertake occasional business travel
- Excellent communication skills with a professional approach to work
- Team player who is able to work collaboratively and is client-focused approach
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. As a fee earner if you exceed your targets you will receive a generous annual bonus. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed. So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.