Formalities Assistant (6 Month FTC)
We're recruiting for an experienced Formalities Assistant to join our Tech/IP department on a 6 month FTC. You will be reviewing and advising clients on UK and EU trade mark registries.
In return we will invest in you. We want you to be successful. You will develop your technical and commercial skills through bespoke knowhow and development programmes ensuring you exceed all expectations. We have a flat hierarchy and you will be a highly valued member of the team and firm and we will ensure your hard work is recognised.
The Technology and Intellectual Property Legal Assistant will have responsibility, under supervision of more senior members of the team, for:
- Providing advice to clients on various aspects of trade mark and design applications, including where to file, what to protect, filing strategies (including costs for various options) and advice regarding any existing 3rd party registrations.
- Advising on and drafting suitable specifications for trade mark applications.
- Filing trade mark applications in the UK, EU, and internationally both via the Madrid international filing system, and nationally via an agent in various territories worldwide. Managing the applications from filing through to registration, including dealing with any
- examination issues that arise.
- Undertaking registered design applications in the UK and EU directly, and where necessary worldwide via an agent.
- Ordering clearance searches and providing advice to clients on the results of the search.
- Managing renewal of trade marks and designs for our clients, from initially obtaining instructions from the client through to ensuring the trade marks and designs are renewed prior to the renewal deadline.
- Implementing trade mark watching services on behalf of our clients and advising clients on the resulting watch notices.
- Reviewing and advising clients on letters that we may receive from the UK and EU trade mark registries regarding potentially conflicting third party trade mark applications.
- Advising on and filing change of name, address and owner requests.
- Assisting on due diligence for other parts of the firm as necessary.
- Running the team's critical dates diary.
- Assisting on trade mark oppositions as and when necessary.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate must have experience in formalities and have up to date knowledge and experience in the following:
- All aspects of trade mark and design renewals, including preparing renewal schedules, liaising with clients, and managing payments
- Confident in dealing with clients, external counsel, and IPOs by phone and email
- Formalities tasks such as recordal of assignments, changes of name.
- Preparing and filing trade mark and design applications, dealing with straightforward examination queries
- Dealing with IPO correspondence, monitoring deadlines and diary dates
- Ad hoc tasks such as assisting with due diligence projects
- Preparing reports for clients
- Experience using FoundationIP or similar diary/record management system
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to prioritise work according to deadlines
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com.
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed. So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.