Health, Safety and Environment Manager
We are currently recruiting for a Health, Safety and Environment Manger to be based at either our Bristol Head office, London or Manchester office, although regular travel to each of our UK offices including Belfast, Glasgow and Edinburgh will be required.
This role is part of the Facilities Management group reporting to the Head of Facilities Management, working closely with Location Heads, Group Risk Managers, Facilities and Office Managers, Risk, HR and senior managers throughout the firm.
The Facilities Management team are responsible for providing a safe and comfortable working environment. Including the secure storage and retrieval of all hard copy files; management and delivery of the client conference suites and switchboard services; providing reprographics support for large volume and specialist printing and scanning; processing and distribution of all incoming and outgoing deliveries; relocation planning, design and fit out logistics; security; building maintenance and working with the landlord to ensure their services support our business operations
As a HSE Manager your day to day remit includes
- Provide competent Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental advice to employees and managers at all levels, including the review of policy and procedure to ensure the firm is well positioned to fulfil its statutory obligations.
- Set an example of best practice approach in all duties and adhere to the firm's H&S policy and procedures.
- Lead the H&S committee and review meetings to ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and prioritisation of H&S actions.
- Oversee and support the development and maintenance of risk assessments for all offices, work environments and Facilities Management activities and use of equipment.
- Support the Managers across all aspects of the firm to undertake, implement and review risk assessments
- Specify and support the introduction and use of any PPE required for staff as identified in risk assessments of activities.
- Support the Facilities Assistant in the coordination and administration of the DSE self-risk assessment forms and provide solutions as required for any issues.
- Support the Office Managers in ensuring each office complies with its H&S responsibilities and assist them with implementing change to meet H&S best practice.
- Complete a health and safety training needs analysis, create an action plan and monitor implementation. Deliver in-house health and safety training such as toolbox talks and e-learning products as specified in the training needs analysis.
- Support arrangements for emergency planning and procedures including evacuation, fire and first aid.
- Coordinate the Firm’s accident and incident reporting system. Lead thorough investigations in the event of accidents, incidents and near misses. Report to senior management trends and issues identified.
- Provide timely, focused HS&E reporting to the Group Risk Management team and Executive Boards.
- Develop and maintain a robust HS&E monitoring system including inspections, internal/external audits and self-assessment.
- Raise the profile of HS&E within the firm by using positive, effective communication and promotions.
- Undertake building security audits at all offices, make recommendations for improvement and implement change as agreed with the Head of Facilities Management.
- Coordinate energy information, prepare ESOS submissions and make recommendations on how energy management can be improved across the firm.
- Review and maintain the H&S, Security and Environment policy and procedure documents held on the firm’s intranet (Atlas).
- Attend and take a proactive role in the Environment Forum, supporting research and implementing approved initiatives.
- Attend and undertake a proactive role in the Wellbeing Forum
The Ideal Candidate
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
- Management systems experience ideally with OHSAS ISO 45001 (essential) and ISO 14001 (preferable).
- Ideally previous OHSE experience working with a UK multi-site work force,
- Currently holds a NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent in relevant discipline (essential).
- Lead Auditor qualification (preferable).
- Training qualification / experience (preferable).
- Membership of relevant HS&E professional associations and ability to demonstrate maintenance of relevant CPD.
- Excellent people skills with the ability to deal with employees and senior managers face to face and on the telephone and able to take control of emergency situations, remain calm and put people at ease.
- Flexible approach with capacity to take on a variety of tasks working across all aspects of the wider Facilities Management team and undertaking other Facilities duties as required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Common sense approach to problem solving with positive solutions.
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.