Legal Assistant - Can I Act
We are recruiting for a Legal Assistant / Paralegal to join our Conflicts team in Bristol. Our Conflicts team is a shared service team which undertake volume compliance tasks on behalf of the whole firm. This is a growing department who are currently broadening the scope of their services to become a complete client intake team who are equipped in dealing with all tasks associated with taking on new clients and matters, such as conflict checking, client due diligence, and matter inception. You will be responsible for conflict requests from across the firm, making important decisions on conflicts of interest by taking into account both the regulatory obligations and the business needs of the firm.
In return we will invest in you. We want you to be successful. You will develop your technical and commercial skills through bespoke knowhow and development programmes ensuring you exceed all expectations. We have a flat hierarchy and you will be a highly valued member of the team and firm and we will ensure your hard work is recognised.
As a paralegal/legal assistant your day to day remit includes:
- Conducting and analysing potential conflicts of interest by using conflicts database searches
- Liaising with fee earners and others within the firm to mitigate any risks that are identified in conflict search results.
- Making decisions on conflicts of interest, taking into account both the regulatory obligations and the business needs of the firm.
- Escalating potential conflicts of interest to risk and compliance where appropriate.
- Reviewing and analysing client due diligence documents from fee earning teams to ensure compliance with anti-money laundering regulations, identifying what is missing, and referring where necessary to Risk & Compliance.
- Specify client due diligence requirements and assisting fee earners with any client due diligence related queries they have, seeking enhanced information when necessary.
- Assist with any other daily tasks related to the resolution of conflicts of interest and client due diligence compliance as required.
The Ideal Candidate
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
- To gain a good understanding of the SRA Code of Conduct rules relating to conflicts of interest and the duties of confidentiality and disclosure.
- To have an awareness of anti-money laundering regulations affecting law firms in relation to client due diligence.
- Legal qualification desired but not essential.
- The role would suit someone with previous experience of working in compliance for a law firm in the areas of conflict checking and CDD/KYC.
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to prioritise workload.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to deal with people of all levels.
- Ability to work well under pressure and to deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Accurate data inputting, attention to detail and accuracy.
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com . Or if you prefer our dedicated HR Advisor, Joshua Larcombe on email@example.com
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed. So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.