The Public Inquiries team is part of Commercial Services Group and spans our Bristol, Manchester, London, Edinburgh and Glasgow offices.
The firms Public Inquiries and Investigations team works for clients in the public and private sectors acting on behalf of high-profile governmental inquiries, including sensitive matters of national security or public interest. The Partner leading the team has represented a core participant or acted as a solicitor to the inquiry on some of the largest inquires conducted in the UK.
As a Legal Director, you will have a fee-earning role (all work undertaken under supervision of partners) which is likely to include the following tasks:
• Co-lead the Public Inquiries team of associates, solicitors and paralegals to complete the Inquiry’s investigation, disclosure and publication of the Inquiry’s report as quickly as reasonably allows
• Act as a Senior Solicitor to statutory and non-statutory inquiries
• Security clearance will be required for the role. It would be desirable for an applicant to already hold SC clearance or DV clearance. If no clearance has already been obtained, applicants should be willing to undergo SC clearance at a minimum
• Provide legal advice to the Inquiry Team and provide senior relationship management with recognised legal representatives and document providers
• Undertake internal investigations and independent reviews
• Draft procedural rules for inquiries and internal investigations
• Handle complex, multi-disciplinary, professional, multi-strand legal or investigative environments
• Handle complex, large-scale projects, including involvement in delivery of large-scale disclosure/e-disclosure/document production/information management exercises;
• Plan, define and implement strategies to support delivery;
• Establishing defined programmes of work and monitoring delivery;
• Plan and manage the resource allocated to specific investigations monitoring to ensure that the resource is adequate to complete the matter in a timely manner
• Communicating risk issues to clients, reporting managers and finance as appropriate
• Supervise the work delegated to other team members as a means of developing others adopting a supportive and coaching approach.
• Delegate tasks to other team members appropriate to their job role level and skill to ensure the optimum use of available resource and utilisation.
The Ideal Candidate
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service and innovation. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
• A solicitor with 10+PQE with previous experience of public inquiry work representing a core participant and or acting for the inquiry itself
• Outstanding technical ability, particularly with experience of advising on freedom of information and data protection as well as judicial review and reputation management work would be preferred.
• A creative approach to problem solving with an ability to manage critical issues quickly and effectively
• Strong analytical and project management skills
• A proven ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, work under pressure and prioritise work from various stakeholders
• Excellent communication skills and an ability to instil confidence with external and internal stakeholders
• An ability and enthusiasm to implement business development initiatives
• Prior supervision experience is beneficial, but not essential as further management and leadership training will be available.
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. As a fee earner if you exceed your targets you will receive a generous annual bonus. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed.
TLT has been awarded the ‘Best Law Firm for Partner Approachability 2021’ from the recent Legal Cheek Awards.
So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.