Private Client Associate - International Tax
The successful candidate will work within the Tax and Estate Planning team at TLT which is part of the firm's Private Business Group. The Group comprises the Family and Tax and Estate Planning teams and is headed by Patrick Wooddisse. Patrick is based in Bristol but works at least one day a week in our London office. The Tax and Estate Planning team in London comprises an associate supported by a Solicitor and a Legal Assistant.
TLT’s London office has a strong international client base. The team’s practice is a full service Private Client practice with the following elements:
- International tax advice to individuals referred to us by Private Banks and trust companies in London and offshore jurisdictions
- Advice on international succession
- Wills and probate for ultra-high net worth clients (often on behalf of leading private banks)
- Advice to UK resident entrepreneurs
- English and international Trust advice (including being principal adviser to two leading UK banks)
- Court of Protection advice and deputyship
- Trust, tax and probate disputes, including contentious work
TLTs Tax and Estate Planning team are graded in Tier 1 in Legal 500 for the South West and Band 2 in Chambers High Net Worth for Bristol and Surrounds.
The team’s strategic plan requires development of our international tax capability in our London office. We need an ambitious, confident and technically proficient associate to assist Patrick Wooddisse.
In return we will invest in you. We want you to be successful. You will manage your own caseloads ensuring your experience is varied and broad. Through our national service lines you will work with notable clients and become a sector specialist. You will receive bespoke training throughout your career ensuring you have the technical and commercial skills to build an effective and successful practice.
You will operate as a Private Client Associate within the Tax and Estate Planning team. The appointment is replacing the current Associate with a view to:
- Exploiting opportunities with clients and referrers in London and internationally
- Maintaining and ideally strengthening the technical international tax capability of our team in London
- Supervising and developing the London team
If you are successful, you will carry out the full range of private client work with particular emphasis on:
- International tax and succession planning advice to individuals and trustees
- Advice to trustees on trust law issues
- Business development in London and internationally
- Management of the London team, with a view to organic growth.
You will work closely with Patrick Wooddisse but will be trusted to exercise your own initiative and be given considerable autonomy. The opportunity has excellent promotion prospects.
The Ideal Candidate
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
- International tax advice
- Understanding of international succession law
- UK personal tax – experienced in advising on inheritance tax, capital gains tax and income tax
- English trust law, including drafting trusts and related documents
- Experience of trust and probate disputes advantageous but not essential
- Confident and ambitious
- Commitment to business development, including willingness to travel on foreign business trips
- Strong academics and an intellectual interest in their specialist area of law
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Able to deal with clients and manage own matters
- Able to supervise and delegate
Our research shows that our clients and our employees would describe us as energetic, entrepreneurial & driven.
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team: HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. As a fee earner if you exceed your targets you will receive a generous annual bonus. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed. So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.