Professional Support Lawyer - Financial Disputes Litigation
Our Financial Services Disputes and Investigations (FSDI) team, which is one of the few teams outside London to specialise in contentious work for a wide range of financial institutions, including most of the UK's major banks, niche mortgage lenders, building societies and international banks with offices in the City.
The team has been described as almost peerless, a top notch service for the best banking clients. We are one of the UK's largest teams in the field of financial services litigation and investigations and rated by Chambers as being in the top tier of firms outside of London advising in this area.
The wider cross office team consists of over 170 people, spread over Bristol, Manchester and London as well as an offering in Northern Ireland and Scotland.
We offer a bespoke service with partner contact and involvement in cases and strategic planning. The team carries out high value and complex banking litigation, defended mortgage litigation, professional negligence claims, investment banking litigation, international disputes, fraud, trade finance and receivership instructions. We defend reputational claims and undertake specialist projects with our clients to prevent claims against them in the future.
We work for key clients within the financial services sector including clearing banks, financial institutions and receivers.
The team has a proven track record in, and are a centre of excellence for, investigations and complex advisory work on key strategic client projects. We have handled significant projects, including internal and regulatory investigations, retail mortgage strategy, loan portfolio acquisitions and operational support for in-house legal functions (as sole provider or in collaboration with magic circle firms). These projects previously have been the preserve of magic circle firms. We are considered to offer quality of service akin to those provided by magic circle firms whilst delivering cost efficiencies.
As litigation and regulatory advice becomes ever more interlinked, our team is uniquely structured to place together regulatory and contentious lawyers to connect our advice across the spectrum for the benefit of our clients. By combining legal insight and commercial acumen, we have been able to drive solutions for our clients as a trusted advisor.
In return we will invest in you. We want you to be successful. You will manage your own caseloads ensuring your experience is varied and broad. Through our national service lines you will work with notable clients and become a sector specialist. You will receive bespoke training throughout your career ensuring you have the technical and commercial skills to build an effective and successful practice.
This is an outstanding opportunity to join an innovative, major UK law firm to provide professional legal support to lawyers working in our Banking and Lender Services Group (BLSG), whose service lines span our national network of offices.
The role is a full time, permanent contract. Although advertised as a full time position, we are very open to considering part time applications, coupled with flexible location working arrangements.
The main purpose of this role is to:
- Maintain the provision of professional support services across BLSG to a high standard, including monitoring current market and technical developments and helping internal and external clients to manage the resulting changes.
- Support the strategic development and growth of BLSG's business, through the provision of training, current awareness information and other knowledge services to lawyers and clients, ensuring they are consistently implemented across the national team.
- Work with lawyers and client teams to identify new approaches to increase efficiency and reduce cost pressures in the face of changing market trends.
The role involves, but is not limited to:
- Working proactively with client teams and Business Development (BD) to raise the profile of the group by identifying opportunities and drafting articles; legal insights; and thought leadership content for external and internal consumption.
- Working with the wider Knowledge Management (KM) and BD teams to develop products such as horizon scanning tools for clients.
- Drafting and delivering content for client training sessions.
- Undertaking complex legal research to provide support on client matters and business development activities.
- Managing and delivering the team's knowledge training programme, providing ongoing training and development updates to the team and wider litigation teams as required.
- Drafting, maintaining and updating the team's precedents to ensure they represent best practice.
- Contributing to the development of the Litigation Forum – a cross team knowledge sharing group.
- Proactively capturing and disseminating know how to demonstrate best practice.
- Keeping up to date with legal, business and industry developments and proactively disseminating the impact of any developments to our lawyers and clients.
- Working with other PSLs and the KM team to support and promote the knowledge management function.
The Ideal Candidate
We are seeking a Professional Support Lawyer to join our team, with excellent prospects for career development. Anyone taking up this role can expect the have the opportunity to play a significant part in the growth and development of our financial regulation practice.
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
- A minimum of five years PQE. Experience as a PSL is helpful but not essential.
- Candidates should ideally be technically excellent in all areas of Financial Services, Disputes & Investigations law, ideally with strong experience of undertaking contentious work and experience of advising in relation to: regulatory investigations, disputes & enforcements; fixed charge receivers; fraud; litigation & recoveries; and professional negligence. In addition, the ideal candidate would also have experience of dealing with financial services regulatory developments.
- Equally important is a commercial awareness and enthusiasm about business development; and the ability to digest, analyse and succinctly communicate complex issues with clarity to both internal and external clients.
- We are looking for a proactive individual who can identify opportunities and produce content to ensure the team's strong market presence.
- This role will be ideal for an individual with ambition and an aptitude for seeking new ways of working, improving efficiencies and managing risk.
- The perfect candidate will be an outgoing, self-motivated individual, with a strong client focussed approach with excellent analytical, communication and organisational skills.
The successful applicant will be able to manage demanding workloads with strict deadlines and possess strong project management skills
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com .
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. As a fee earner if you exceed your targets you will receive a generous annual bonus. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed. So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.