This opportunity will provide exposure to a broad and varied range of commercial work across the public sector on a national basis to include central government departments, police forces, local authorities, housing associations and non departmental public bodies/charities. A vacancy has arisen in our team due to the ongoing expansion of our busy practice.
Bill Hull is a Partner in the Commercial Services Group and well known for his pragmatic and commercial advice in relation to procurement matters, major contract work and subsidy control.
He acts as lead adviser on all elements of public procurement from inception, through to early engagement with bidders/marketing a scheme and thereafter leading negotiations with bidding teams and/or funders; requiring him to draft the full suite of tender and contractual documentation, select, score, evaluate and de-brief market participants.
Bill Hull is recommended in the latest edition of Legal 500 for expertise in local government.
- Government Legal Department
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Mayor's Office for Police Commissioners
- National Crime Agency
- National Citizen Service
- London Borough Legal Alliance
- The Guinness Partnership
Through tendering for new business, the successful candidate will be expected to assist with the preparation of tenders for new business opportunities.
In return we will invest in you. We want you to be successful. You will manage your own caseloads ensuring your experience is varied and broad. Through our national service lines you will work with notable clients and become a sector specialist. You will receive bespoke training throughout your career ensuring you have the technical and commercial skills to build an effective and successful practice.
You will operate as a Solicitor / Associate, working with and supporting clients such as:
- Central government departments
- Non department public bodies
- Local authorities
- Housing Associations (Registered Providers)
- Private and third sector organisations providing services into the public sector
The type of work and projects that the candidate will work on is broad and scope and will involve advising on:
- Commercial Contracts law
- Major public sector projects
- Corporate structures and Governance
- Some knowledge of procurement law and practice
- Some knowledge of control/state aid.
The Ideal Candidate
We are seeking candidates with ideally between 3 – 8 years PQE with the requisite skills and experience gained within private practice or the public sector or in house. Applicants with appropriate experience outside this PQE range will also be considered.
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
- Previous experience of working with or within the public sector on commercial and procurement matters
- Practical and commercial approach
- Excellent drafting and legal analysis skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to liaise effectively with clients
- Ability to support on business development and tender/bid experience;
- A natural curiosity for work and a strong appetite to build a career advising on matters in the public sector
- Excellent communication skills with a professional approach to work
- Team player with a keen, client-focused approach
- Flexibility to advise on a broad portfolio of work
- Strong Academic Background
- Experience of working at a large regional/national law firm on public sector matters or in the public sector would be beneficial.
Our research shows that our clients and our employees would describe us as energetic, entrepreneurial & driven.
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com .
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. As a fee earner if you exceed your targets you will receive a generous annual bonus. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed. So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.