Solicitor NQ+ Commercial (Payments)
The General Commercial team (GenCom) works out of various locations across the UK including London, Manchester and Bristol. It is headed by Perran Jervis.
This particular role will work closely with the Financial Services Regulation team (FSR) which is based in London and headed by Andrew Lyon. The team advises on financial regulatory matters for a number of high profile national and international firms.
The combination of the GenCom and FSR teams means that we are one of only a few firms with leading expertise in payments and retail financial services. In the team, we have lawyers with industry experience gained from working in-house and on secondment with clearing banks, payments businesses and regulators. This gives us a unique perspective on the business and regulatory environment in financial services which enables us to keep up to speed with innovative product development and rapid regulatory change.
Our success is down to our agility and ingenuity, which means we can anticipate and proactively respond to clients’ changing requirements and to commercial and legal developments.
Our specialist FinTech and Payments teams work across the Financial Services industry to ensure that players in the technology eco-system maximise the opportunities in this increasingly important space. We work with the full spectrum of businesses in this sector, including card issuers, global acquirers, e-money institutions, third party providers (AISPs and PISPs), payments technology providers and fraud reporting companies. This means that we have an end-to-end view of the market and the areas where all of these parties collaborate (and potentially come into conflict).
We want you to be successful. You will manage your own caseloads ensuring your experience is varied and broad. Through our national service lines you will work with notable clients and become a sector specialist. You will receive bespoke training throughout your career ensuring you have the technical and commercial skills to build an effective and successful practice.
You will work as part of a team, advising clients on all key areas of payments commercial contracts and payments regulatory compliance involving businesses, their directors and managers. You will be given great exposure within this team and the opportunity to develop your own client contacts and shape your career.
- Dealing with payment services regulatory processes- authorisation, variation of permission, change of control, individual approvals and Principle 11 notifications
- Developing knowledge of the Payment Services Approach Document, and to the extent relevant FCA and PRA Handbooks of Rules and Guidance and in particular, systems and controls, conduct of business and FCA firm supervision rules
- Immediate requirement for part time secondment supporting the commercial bank payments legal team of a clearing bank
- Drafting compliance and risk management policies and procedures
- Regulatory, commercial contract and industry (including card scheme rule management) aspects of product design, structuring and distribution
- Cross-jurisdictional regulatory issues
- Flagging new legal and regulatory developments and consider their impact on fintech clients
The Ideal Candidate
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
- Qualified Solicitor/Lawyer in the UK or another Common Law jurisdiction, with up to 3 years PQE in a leading law firm or in-house
- Prior experience dealing with regulatory or commercial contract issues, for a Fintech, payments institution, e-money institution, or bank
- Keen interest in regulation and some knowledge of the payments landscape
- Strong legal and/or analytical skills, a quick mind and the ability to assess and understand the impact of regulation on firms
- Excellent time management skills and ability to manage a high volume of work
- High level of written and interpersonal communication skills
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Fluency in written and spoken English
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. As a fee earner if you exceed your targets you will receive a generous annual bonus. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed. So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.