Solicitor - NQ to 3PQE
To be a solicitor in the FSDI Regions team, in Bristol. This is one of the few teams outside London to specialise in contentious work for a wide range of financial institutions. Our clients include the UK's major banks, niche mortgage and unsecured lenders, building societies, international banks with offices in the City, payment service providers and title insurers.
Our market-leading FSDI team is one of the UK's largest teams in the field of financial services litigation, comprising over 150 people across Bristol, Manchester, London, Belfast and Glasgow. It is rated by Chambers as being in the top tier of firms outside of London advising in this area.
The Group is led by Jonathan Hoey, who is recognised by Chambers as a 'Leader in his Field'. The team is described as a group of "…talented solicitors advising on a broad range of contentious matters". Clients tell us that the team is "responsive, commercial, cost-effective and very good at scanning the horizon."
The team carries out high value and complex banking litigation, defended mortgage litigation, professional negligence claims, defends claims brought by consumers and businesses, investment banking litigation, international disputes, regulatory, fraud, trade finance, and receivership instructions. We defend reputationally sensitive claims and undertake specialist projects with our clients to help to prevent claims against them in the future.
We work for leading institutions within the financial services sector including clearing banks, financial institutions and receivers.
The team, which consists of partners, legal directors, associates, solicitors, legal executives, legal assistants and secretarial support, has grown consistently over the last few years and further growth is envisaged and planned.
In return we will invest in you. We want you to be successful. You will manage your own caseloads ensuring your experience is varied and broad. Through our national service lines you will work with notable clients and become a sector specialist. You will receive bespoke training throughout your career ensuring you have the technical and commercial skills to build an effective and successful practice.
Once you are in the role of Solicitor you will deliver the following:
- Running a significant and varied caseload for key financial services clients, including banks and mortgage lenders
- Providing competent strategic and commercial legal advice upon a range of contentious disputes and claims under supervision of more senior members of the team
- Delivering excellent client service informed by a knowledge of clients’ business, key drivers and requirements
- Assisting more senior solicitors, associates, legal directors and partners on larger cases, document management and reporting
- Responsibility for own financial management and billing
- Participating in business development activities with clients and potential clients
- Assisting with production of legal updates and knowhow development
- Supervision opportunities may be available in respect of trainee solicitors and other members of the team.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be tasked with handling a caseload of banking and mortgage litigation cases including defended and sensitive reputational cases, breach of contract/mandate, professional negligence, fraud, receivership advice and financial disputes.
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
- A qualified solicitor from NQ level – 2 years' PQE
- Ideally experienced in acting in the financial services sector in contentious matters
- Should ideally be from a top 100 law firm, with commercial experience
- Experience of running own caseload of litigation matters (subject to supervision)
- Good understanding of the CPR and litigation process
- Helpful to have a working knowledge of Land Registry practice and procedure
- Keen to establish excellent relationships with clients and deliver excellent client service
- Keen and enthusiastic to learn and develop
- Able to operate effectively within a team environment
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Excellent communication and self-management skills
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. As a fee earner if you exceed your targets you will receive a generous annual bonus. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed. So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.