Solicitor - Risk & Compliance
An opportunity to join the risk and compliance team at TLT has arisen for a Solicitor with significant PQE experience and knowledge gained at a law firm or insurance company specialising in legal, professional and regulatory risks.
In particular, demonstrable experience is required in each of the areas of client conflict determination, handling of professional indemnity claims and handling of complaints.
In addition the successful candidate will have a working knowledge of the regulation of solicitors and law firms and law firm risk and compliance.
In return we will invest in you. We want you to be successful. You will manage your own caseloads ensuring your experience is varied and broad. You will receive bespoke training throughout your career ensuring you have the technical and practical skills to build an effective and successful practice.
You will operate as a Solicitor within the Risk and Compliance team, where you will be expected to deliver the following:
- Assisting the team in the determination of complex conflict queries
- Assisting the team in claims handling, including liaising with fee earners, insurers, brokers, panel solicitors and other interested parties
- Supporting the team with complaints in accordance with the Firm's complaint procedures including liaising with fee earners, complainants, regulators and other interested parties
- Assisting the Risk Director with strategic and operational issues;
- Liaising with internal and external stakeholders in relation to risk related issues
- Assisting on queries relating to the SRA StaRs, Principles, Codes of Conduct, Law Society of Scotland, Law Society of Northern Ireland and Law Society of Ireland queries and liaising with the regulators as necessary
- Assisting the MLRO and deputy MLRO with queries from fee earners in relation to source of funds and money laundering
- Attending other offices of the Firm within England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on an ad hoc basis
- Assisting with risk and compliance information for tenders and audits
- Attending and participating in Group Risk Manager Meetings as required
- Assisting other members of the risk and compliance team where needed
- Undertaking internal training on risk issues as necessary
- Policy writing and updating as necessary
- Updating relevant registers with key information as necessary
- Assisting with the firm’s external accreditations as necessary.
The Ideal Candidate
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
- A qualified Solicitor with ideally 5+ years PQE or good relevant experience in law firm regulation, solicitors’ PI claims, complaints handling and conflict determination;
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the SRA StaRs, Principles and Codes of Conduct and ability to analyse the facts against the Codes to reach a decision
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to liaise with people at all levels internally and externally;
- Common sense and ability to work under pressure;
- Be a team player to assist other members of the team when appropriate;
- Ability to understand the commercial aspects of the Firm and its clients;
- Patient, objective, professional and assertive in all situations with an inquisitional as opposed to an adversarial approach;
- Good negotiating and influencing skills with an ability to be persuasive to assist collaboration;
- Able to undertake an analytical approach to understand queries and problem solve complex issues;
- Logical thinking with an ability to grasp complex issues quickly;
- Able to manage and prioritise workflow effectively and ability to motivate self and others;
- Ability to act on own initiative and know when to seek assistance;
- Able to take personal ownership of queries, complaints or claims until resolved;
Be proficient at using a wide variety of software programmes including a detailed understanding of Microsoft Office systems as well as a good knowledge of firm databases, financial systems and case management systems
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com .
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. As a fee earner if you exceed your targets you will receive a generous annual bonus. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed. So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.