Associate (2+ PQE)
A vacancy has arisen for a senior lawyer with specialist knowledge in public procurement to join our Government and Trade (GAT) practice. The firm’s GAT Practice is made up of three distinct but complementary teams – the Public Procurement Team, the Public Contracts Team, and the International Trade Team. Many of our GAT lawyers practice in more than one team, meaning they have the opportunity to undertake a diverse range of work and hone multiple specialist skill-sets, although this is not essential for this role.
The GAT practice is part of the firm’s Commercial Services Group, which is led by partner, Bill Hull. The GAT Practice has 6 partners and 13 specialist lawyers operating out of multiple different TLT offices across the UK. Our GAT lawyers were well-versed in agile and remote working across different geographical locations long before COVID-19 required this. For that reason, we are location agnostic with regard to the base office for this role and successful candidate.
Key public sector clients within the GAT practice include:
- Cabinet Office
- Home Office
- Government Legal Department
- Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Department for Health and Social Care
- Department for International Trade
- Mayor's Office for Police Commissioners
- National Crime Agency
- London Borough Legal Alliance (and Local Government more generally)
We also act for a number of private sector entities engaged in Government projects, including multinationals such as Babcock International and Vodafone.
We are seeking candidates with 2 + years PQE with the requisite skills and experience gained within private practice, the public sector, or in-house. Applicants with appropriate experience outside this PQE range will also be considered.
This vacancy has arisen in due to the ongoing growth of our busy practice and the role will report into Kuldip Dhanoya, a Partner who leads our Public Procurement Team. Kuldip is well known for the depth of her technical knowledge and her pragmatic and commercial advice in public procurement projects.
This role will provide exposure to some of the highest profile and most significant Government projects in the UK and internationally. It will afford the opportunity to the successful candidate to further enhance their expertise in a broad range of procurement and contract work across the public sector.
The successful candidate will be working with and supporting clients such as:
- Central government departments
- Non-department public bodies
- Local authorities
- Housing Associations (Registered Providers)
- Private and third sector organisations providing services into the public sector
The Ideal Candidate
Our employees are talented and entrepreneurial people, distinguished by technical excellence, a passion for client service and a willingness to embrace team working. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
- Previous experience of working with or within the public sector on public procurement law (under the UK/EU legal regime or WTO regime)
- Practical and pragmatic approach
- Commercially astute and solutions focused
- Excellent procurement documentation drafting skills
- Excellent legal/procurement risk analysis skills
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to forge strong and lasting client relationships
- Ability and enthusiasm to support on business development (past tender/bid experience would be beneficial although not essential)
- A strong appetite to build a career advising on government/public sector procurements
- A willingness to work flexibly and undertake occasional business travel
- Excellent communication skills with a professional approach to work
- Team player who is able to work collaboratively and with a client-focused approach
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. As a fee earner if you exceed your targets you will receive a generous annual bonus. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed.
TLT has been awarded the ‘Best Law Firm for Partner Approachability 2021’ from the recent Legal Cheek Awards.
So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.