Senior Associate - Data Protection
We are recruiting for a Senior Data Protection Associate to join our Data, Privacy and Cybersecurity team. Reporting to Gareth Oldale, Partner and Head of Data, Privacy and Cybersecurity at TLT, you will be responsible for the delivery of advice on data protection and privacy matters to existing and new clients. The team has enjoyed significant growth in recent years. We anticipate this growth to continue accelerating and we want you to be part of this. You will assist with business development activities in order to win new clients for TLT and to win data protection work from existing TLT clients – this will involve attending and speaking at conferences, writing articles as well as cementing existing relationships.
In return we will invest in you. We want you to be successful. You will manage your own caseloads ensuring your experience is varied and broad. Through our national service lines you will work with notable clients and become a sector specialist. You will receive bespoke training throughout your career ensuring you have the technical and commercial skills to build an effective and successful practice.
As a Senior Associate in the Data, Privacy and Cybersecurity team you will advise PLCs, other corporations and public sector bodies on all aspects of information and cybersecurity law, including data protection, FOI, confidentiality and privacy issues. In the role we would expect you to deliver the following:
- Conduct data protection audits and prepare data protection reports
- Draft data protection policies and procedures and privacy notices
- Advise on overseas data transfers and binding corporate rules
- Advise on information rights requests, data breaches and responding to cyber attacks
- Advise on data ethics matters, including in the context of innovative technology projects (e.g. use of AI, algorithms, biometrics solutions)
- Advise on the commercialisation of data and complex data sharing arrangements
- Deliver data protection (DPA and GDPR) training
- Assist and where appropriate lead effective business development initiatives to existing and new clients
- Support and mentor junior team members
- Advise on marketing and digital media data protection issues
The Ideal Candidate
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
- A proven track record of advising and leading data protection projects
- A minimum of 4 years post qualified experience gained within a boutique or national law firm
- Outstanding technical ability, particularly with drafting policies and data processor agreements, conducting audits and advising on international data transfers
- Professional certifications such as IAPP CIPP/E and CIPM are desired but not essential
- Previous experience of working with clients in a regulated environment (e.g. Financial Services) and/or the public sector will be welcome
- An ability and enthusiasm to implement highly targeted and effective business development initiatives
- Prior supervision experience is beneficial, but not essential as full management and leadership training will be provided
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. As a fee earner if you exceed your targets you will receive a generous annual bonus. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed.
TLT has been awarded the ‘Best Law Firm for Partner Approachability 2021’ from the recent Legal Cheek Awards.
So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.