Head of Claims and Regulatory Compliance
The Risk and Compliance team at TLT is growing and we are looking for an experienced solicitor and people manager to provide strategic and operational direction for the firm’s existing risk agenda and workflows.
Working with senior stakeholders, the role will provide practical advice to all levels of the firm on regulatory risk, associated legal issues and implement practical measures to manage and reduce such risk, alongside day to day management of the legally qualified team of 5 solicitors and 2 risk advisers.
You will be part of a successful team responsible for all Risk & Compliance across all our locations and jurisdictions. You will continue the enhancement and implementation of operational risk policies and risk management systems across the firm.
As a Head of Claims and Regulatory Compliance your day to day remit includes:
- Managing and supervising the legally qualified team including allocation, advice on and checking of work and tasks.
- Maintain compliance with regulators’ requirements and ensure adherence to key regulatory and jurisdictional requirements particularly practicing requirements in the different jurisdictions.
- Together with others provide regulatory and legal guidance to the firm in response to queries raised with the Risk and Compliance team and acting as a central point of contact within TLT for claims, complaints and risk advice and being the subject matter expert for all such queries.
- Providing management information and visibility on all aspects of the team’s work to the senior management of the firm, attending and reporting to the governance boards of the firm Operations Board, Exec Board and Risk and Compliance Committee as necessary.
- Manage the firm’s in-house claims handling function, liaise with panel solicitors and insurers on externally handled claims, attend settlement meetings and mediations and ensure all records particularly bordereaux payments are accurately recorded. Together with others manage the PII renewal process
- Together with others ensure complaints are promptly and correctly handled in line with policy and client requirements
- Working with the Group Risk Managers, Head of Information and Cyber Risk and the Data Protection Officer expand the reach and effectiveness of the existing group risk champions particularly to embed root cause analysis of notifications in these areas
- With the assistance of the relevant internal stakeholders, maintain and manage the firm’s Risk Register reporting on risks to the Group Risk Managers, Operations Board and Risk and Compliance Committee as needed.
- With the assistance of the relevant internal stakeholders, write, update and advise on changes to risk and business continuity policies and procedures as well as oversee their implementation across the firm;
- Maintain the firm’s ISO9001 and 22301 accreditations, liaising with internal and external stakeholders, including the accreditation body, managing the audit cycle internally and externally, implementing the training and testing program and monitoring the effectiveness of the TLT risk policies and practices;
- Assist the internal audit and client audit teams as required
The Ideal Candidate
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
- You will be an experienced solicitor with experience in the areas of professional indemnity and professional services claims.
- Solid understanding of the risk issues facing a multi-site, multi-jurisdictional Top 40 law firm including operational risk and experience in developing risk governance, controls and best practice processes and controls including root cause analysis and writing policies and procedural documentation for risk systems/requirements;
- You will have extensive experience of having managed and “hands on” supervised a high performing preferably legally qualified team in either a law firm or insurer environment together with the established ability to provide suitable management information on the team responsibilities and workloads to senior management and the governance boards of the firm
- Proven experience of managing change within a fast-paced environment and with multiple stakeholders
- Proven experience of internal and external handling of professional indemnity claims of all values – including active management of existing claims and complaints advising in relation to legal strategy, managing panel firms, insurers and brokers, attending court and mediations as the insured representative, internal claims handling within agreed limits with insurers, assisting with PII renewal and bordereaux management
- Results orientated with excellent knowledge of Teams, Word and Excel;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, partners/directors, managers, staff at all levels and subject matter experts.
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed. So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.