Legal Director - Public Inquiries
Our Public Inquiries team is part of our Commercial Services Group and situated in our London office. At present, we are looking to hire a Legal Director to join our growing team.
The team works for clients in the public and private sectors acting on behalf of high-profile governmental inquiries, including sensitive matters of national security or public interest. The team variously represents witnesses, core participants or acts for or as Solicitor to the Inquiry on some of the largest and most high profile public inquiries conducted in the UK.
As a Legal Director, you will have a fee-earning role, which is likely to include the following responsibilities:
• Co-leadership of the Public Inquiries team of Associates and Paralegals to complete or support Inquiry investigations, disclosure, evidential hearings and publication of the Inquiry’s report as effectively and efficiently as reasonably possible
• Acting as a Senior Solicitor to statutory and non-statutory inquiries
• Providing legal advice to the Inquiry Team and senior relationship management with recognised legal representatives, core participants, witnesses and document providers
• Undertaking internal investigations and independent reviews
• Drafting procedural rules for inquiries and internal investigations
• Leading complex, multi-disciplinary, professional, multi-strand legal or investigative workstreams
• Dealing with Public law challenges, advising on merits of defending judicial review claims and grounds for issuing JR challenges.
• Advising on litigation related to national security matters
• Leading complex, large-scale projects, including responsibility for delivery of large-scale disclosure/e-disclosure/document production/information management exercises
• Planning, defining, implementing and leading strategies to support delivery
• Establishing defined programmes of work and monitoring delivery against challenging timescales
• Planning and managing the resource allocated to specific investigations and ensuring that the resource meets requirements to complete the workstream in a timely manner and in line with the client’s objectives
• Communicating and managing risk issues with clients, reporting managers and finance as appropriate
• Supervising the work delegated to other team members, encouraging a supportive and collegiate approach to the development of others
• Working flexibly across workstreams and able to delegate tasks to other team members appropriate to their job role level and skill driving efficiency and maximising available resource
The Ideal Candidate
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service and innovation. You will be able to demonstrate a supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have the following experience and skills:
- A qualified lawyer of 10+ years PQE. Previous experience of public inquiry work representing a core participant and or acting for the inquiry itself would be preferred but not essential
- Strong litigation skills and project management skills with experience of either managing large scale disclosure exercises or working on large scale projects in commercial litigation is essential.
- Outstanding technical ability, with particular experience of advising on freedom of information, data protection, judicial review and reputational management work would be preferred but not essential
- An innovative approach to problem solving with an ability to manage critical issues quickly and effectively
- Strong analytical and project management skills
- A proven and demonstrable ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, work under pressure and prioritise work from various stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to instil confidence with external and internal stakeholders
- An ability and enthusiasm to create and implement business development initiatives
- Although further management and leadership training will be available, prior supervision and leadership experience is essential for this more senior leadership role
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. As a fee earner if you exceed your targets you will receive a generous annual bonus. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.