Managing Associate/Legal Director
Fast paced, fast growing and forward thinking. TLT is the law firm that helps clients stay one step ahead, and we do the same for our people.
Our collaborative, supportive and open-minded environment is the ideal place to progress your career. We work with high profile clients in innovative sectors, and we’ll help you embrace opportunities to keep learning as we grow our firm.
It's never been a better time to join TLT - we've been named Law Firm of the Year at the Lawyer Awards 2021 and Top 4 UK Firm by Roll on Friday. TLT is for what comes next for our clients and our people.
We don’t stand still. Our clients keep moving forward to seize the opportunities and address the challenges of the modern world and so do we. We challenge convention and think creatively about how we can help make their businesses better.
This proactive approach has powered our success with clients, and it is all down to our people. Ambitious, talented individuals help us go even further to question the norm and explore different ways of doing things.
Being part of TLT gives you the opportunity to evolve what it means to be a lawyer. You’ll be a business adviser as a well as a lawyer, working directly with a high calibre of clients on a wide range of interesting current matters. And while you develop long-lasting relationships with clients, you’ll boost your skills and professional reputation.
Our future, your future
Our open and collaborative culture makes life at TLT enjoyable and rewarding. We are genuinely supportive of each other, you can approach anyone for a conversation. And you’ll be recognised for your individual work as well as your contribution to the team.
You’ll have the independence to nurture your own client relationships and apply your own ideas to your work. We’ll also make sure that you can get involved with a varied mix of work for exciting clients to widen your professional experience – and to keep you motivated. Because learning and development should never stop.
The Housing and Regeneration team forms part of TLT's Real Estate Group, with lawyers based in, and working across, both our London and Bristol offices.
The team comprises some 25 lawyers with affordable housing experience and is headed up by partner Linda Convery. It is supported across the firm by various other specialist teams and the practice is recognised in the Legal 500 and Chambers directories.
Our specialist team deals with real estate acquisition and development work as well as major regeneration projects. We advise across the full range of legal issues affecting the industry including construction, corporate, planning and procurement. We provide advice on finance facilities for registered providers, acting for both lenders and borrowers, and also corporate and employment advice on matters such as stock rationalisations and mergers.
We have a plot sales team which services our clients’ needs in relation to sales of shared ownership properties and shared equity products as well as market sales.
Our Bristol based team deals with a range of transactions for our RP clients and local authorities; including the disposal of properties under the Right to Buy and Right to Acquire legislation as well as purchasing existing street properties.
Our approach is to provide a complete understanding of all the parties involved, and what their drivers and objectives are on the project to help our clients achieve their objectives. We are known for being approachable and pragmatic, with an ability to deliver legal advice in plain English.
Key clients include Swan Housing Association, One Housing Group, the Guinness Trust, Sovereign HA, Stonewater, Network Homes, Peabody Trust and a number of local authorities including Waltham Forest and Crawley Borough Council.
We advise housing providers and organisations involved in the delivery of affordable housing on all their legal needs and we work with housing association providers which range in size from those with a few hundred houses to those with in excess of 50,000. We also help local authorities on strategic housing and grant funding matters, and act for private developers on their negotiations on affordable housing sites. This includes innovative structures to cash-flow developments for registered providers.
- Advising local authorities on a range of regeneration and housing projects covering the disposal of land, procurement matters; co-ordination and delivery of regeneration schemes
- The disposal of surplus land assets which may include the disposal of land subject to planning or with overage provisions
- Land assembly including option agreements and promotion agreements
- General support for the Housing and Regeneration Team as it develops its wider public sector real estate practice
- Dealing with a variety of real estate transactions including advice on existing overage arrangements; infrastructure agreements; licences to occupy and the grant of various forms of leases
- Working with others on large scale, mixed use regeneration schemes and joint venture opportunities.
- Drafting and advising on conditional sale agreements and overage provisions
- We would expect all members of the team to play an active role in business development.
- There will plenty of opportunity for client contact, running own files and early responsibility for delivery of transactions etc.
- To maintain and improve relations with existing clients and spot opportunities for business development and enhancement of the current services we offer.
The Ideal Candidate
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
- 4+ years PQE (or qualified equivalent) in Real Estate, gained at a leading national or international firm, with particular experience of acting for local authorities and public sector bodies in relation to the acquisition, disposal and development of real estate
- Good eye for detail.
- Ability to juggle a busy and varied workload
- High standards of client service essential
- Good IT skills
- Enthusiastic & team approach to working
- Awareness of the main issues facing the public sector in relation to real estate and the delivery of housing
- Awareness of the governance regime affecting Local Authorities in their dealings with real estate
- Awareness of the statutory consents regime within which local authorities
- Willing to share work/help more junior members of the team when the need arises
- Willing to take on a caseload of complex work
- Able to identify when to seek advice from specialist colleagues in e.g. EU procurement, employment, construction, planning and other issues
- Willing to take an active part in business development, including writing articles for trade magazines etc.
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com
We value our employees highly and we want you to feel valued. You will receive a competitive basic salary with an annual pay review. As a fee earner if you exceed your targets you will receive a generous annual bonus. You will also have access to an extensive range of benefits via our flexible benefits scheme including 25 days holiday (which will increase to 30 days based upon length of service) and private medical insurance.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed.
TLT has been awarded the ‘Best Law Firm for Partner Approachability 2021’ from the recent Legal Cheek Awards.
So if you’re dynamic, determined and looking for a firm where you can develop your skills, join us and we’ll give you everything you need to thrive.