Associate - London Based Public Inquiries (Litigation Experience)
Our Public Inquiries team is part of our Commercial Services Group, sitting within our London office and we currently have an opening available at Senior Associate level.
The team works for clients in the public and private sectors acting on behalf of high-profile governmental inquiries, including sensitive matters of national security or public interest. The Partner leading the team has represented a core participant or acted as a Solicitor to the inquiry on some of the largest inquires conducted in the UK.
This contract is on a Fixed Term Contract, with a view to extend at the end of the 6 months. You will be fully supported by the team and will have access to the firms resources and expertise.
The role requires working in our London based office for 2/3 days a week so easily commutable distance is essential, WFH the rest of the week and we supply equipment. We are working on a quick turn around so prefer wither immediate start or very short notice period.
As a key addition to the team, you will have a fee-earning role (all work undertaken under supervision of partners and other senior team members) which is likely to include the following tasks:
• Act as a supporting Solicitor to statutory and non-statutory inquiries
• Undertake internal investigations and independent reviews
• Provide legal advice to the Inquiry Team and contribute to senior relationship management with recognised legal representatives and document providers
• Handle complex, multi-disciplinary, professional, multi-strand legal or investigative environments
• Handle complex, large-scale projects, including involvement in delivery of large-scale disclosure/e-disclosure/document production/information management exercises
• Deal with Public law challenges, advising on merits of defending judicial review claims and grounds for issuing a JR challenge.
• Advise on litigation related to national security matters
• Plan, define and implement strategies to support delivery
• Manage document-heavy review processes to identify key relevant materials
• Establishing defined programmes of work and monitoring delivery
• Give clear and detailed instructions to witnesses to ensure delivery of high-quality evidence
• Supervise the work delegated to other team members as a means of developing others adopting a supportive and coaching approach
• Delegate tasks to other team members appropriate to their job role level and skill to ensure the optimum use of available resource and utilisation
The Ideal Candidate
Our employees are talented people, distinguished by technical excellence, with a willingness to embrace team working and a passion for client service and innovation. You will be able to demonstrate a similar supportive, flexible and driven ethos and will have accumulated the following experience and skills:
• A qualified Solicitor of 3-5 +PQE. Previous experience of public inquiry work representing a core participant and or acting for the inquiry itself would be preferred but not essential
• A solicitor with strong litigation skills and project management skills with experience of either managing large scale disclosure exercises or working on large scale projects in commercial litigation is essential.
• Experience of advising on freedom of information and data protection as well as judicial review and reputation management work would be preferred but not essential
• A creative approach to problem solving with an ability to manage critical issues quickly and effectively
• A proven ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
• Excellent communication skills and ability to engage with external and internal stakeholders
• Excellent ability to manage and review information and documentation with strong attention to detail
• Keen team player with the ability to self-start and engage with a varied cross section of fee earners across the business
• Security clearance will be required for the role. It would be highly desirable for an applicant to already hold SC clearance or DV clearance. If no clearance has already been obtained, applicants should be willing to undergo SC clearance at a minimum.
About the Firm
We’re an ambitious UK law firm built around the needs of our high profile clients. With over 1000 employees and 100 partners across our six UK offices, we’ve grown considerably in the last three years – and so have our revenues. Open-minded? Definitively. Forward-focused? Absolutely. An energetic firm with an entrepreneurial, collaborative culture, we’re always looking to recruit highly talented individuals with the drive to succeed.
TLT is committed to creating a diverse working environment and encourages applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of any of the characteristics protected by the laws in the locations in which we operate. We welcome applications from people with disabilities and as a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to providing reasonable adjustments, where necessary, to make interviews and jobs more accessible. Should you have any difficulty during the recruitment process, require any reasonable adjustments or an application to Access to work please contact the recruitment team on HR-Recruitment@TLTsolicitors.com